by Sirinya Matute
We understand that this is an extremely stressful time for working families everywhere – Santa Monica is no exception – especially with the launch of the new school year on August 18 (LAUSD) and August 24 (SMMUSD). For many families, the plan is online distance learning per your school’s classroom schedule per each kid. This roundup compiles additional options for local child care and tutoring, with an emphasis on programs that are free or offer financial aid.
Free Live Online Tutoring Help through Brainfuse
Brainfuse HelpNow is the Santa Monica Public Library’s online homework help from one-on-one tutors, daily from 1 p.m. – 10 p.m. Brainfuse provides tutoring in English and Spanish, from early elementary through high school grades, in subjects such as math, science, reading/writing, and social studies.
You can get help 24/7 with these resources:
- Online Writing Lab: Submit essays and other forms of writing for constructive feedback (24-hour turnaround)
- Skill Surfer: Offers self-study resources including practice tests (PSAT/SAT, ACT, AP, and other state-standardized tests)
- Homework Question Center: Submit homework questions for expert guidance
Brainfuse provides many ways to learn, including electronic flash cards, the option to set up virtual study groups, and resources for ELL and ESL learners.
There is no time limit on access.
A tip from our Santa Monica Public Library librarians: It can be hard for children under 8 to articulate questions to an online tutor, so parents may need to be on hand to help facilitate.
For more information, check out this tutorial from Santa Monica Public Library, which gives a brief overview of all that Brainfuse offers
Tutoring through School On Wheels
School on Wheels is a nonprofit that provides one-on-one virtual tutoring for children who are experiencing homelessness or living in a group home setting.
Learn more: schoolonwheels.org /students
Licensed Family Child Care
Santa Monica has 20 licensed family child care programs, with about 10 currently accepting new children. With small group sizes, flexible drop-off and pick-up times, and the capacity to enroll multiple children from the same family, a licensed family child care program can be viable for families who can oversee their children’s distance-based learning in the morning, but need child care after school. You may even be able to team up with another family at the same location to manage distance-based learning.
With the support of Connections for Children, our local providers operate high-quality programs, with plenty of outdoor play and minimal (or no) screen time. All of these programs must adhere to public health guidance from the County for early care and school-age care. Committing to one of these programs is also a direct investment in a local Santa Monica business, in a sector led mostly by Black and Latinx women.
Financial aid through Connections for Children may be available for qualifying families. Contact Connections for an application and a current list of providers with openings by calling (310) 452-3325, ext. 260, or emailing Shirley Perez at [email protected].
Programs with Openings by Zip Code
All programs are open Monday – Friday, except where noted.
Montana Preschool – montanapreschool.com
- Openings: Ages 1 month – 7 years.
- Contact: 310-663-2169; Hours: 7:30 am – 6:00 p.m.
CC’s House – ccshousechildcare.com
- Openings: Accepting Children 1 week – 10 years; separate classroom available for distance learning (children must bring their own laptops)
- Contact: 310-828-9698; Hours: 7:30 am – 5:30 p.m.
Cuddle Bear Daycare – cuddlebeardaycare.wordpress.com
- Openings: Ages 1 month – 3 years
- Contact: 310- 829-1400; Hours: 7:30 am – 6 p.m.
Early Childhood Learning – www.early-childhood-learning.com
- Openings: Ages 1-5 years; half-days; accepting older children on case-by-case basis.
- Contact: 310-403-8659; Hours: 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Kennedy Family Child Care – kennedyfamilychildcare.com
- Openings: Ages 3 months – 5 years
- Contact: 310 921-0879 or [email protected]; Hours: 7:45 am – 5:30 p.m.
Sarian Family Child Care – sarianfamilychildcare.com
- Openings: Ages 1 month – 5 years
- Contact: 310-878-7215; Hours: 7 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Szasz Family Child Care
- Openings: Age 10 months – 5 years; accept older children on case-by-case basis (after school care, no distance learning)
- Contact: 310-795-5306; Hours: 8:30 am – 5:30 p.m.
Berg Family Child Care
- Openings: Ages 1 – 5 years
- Contact: 310-487-7706; Hours: 7:30 am – 5:30 p.m.
- Openings: Ages 3 months – 5 years
- Contact: 310- 450-3706; Hours: 8 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (Monday – Sunday)
Programs are open Monday – Friday, except where noted.
- Amalia Daycare (90404) – amaliadaycare.com. Contact: 310-314-2719; Hours: 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Barahona Family Child Care (90401). Contact: [email protected] Hours: of operation: 8:00 am – 5 p.m.
- Collier Family Child Care (90405). Contact: 310-926-9188; Hours: 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- The Mulberry Tree Wonderschool (90405). Contact: 310- 396-3322; Hours: Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Esmail Family Child Care (90405). Contact: 310-452-0322; Hours: 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Frida’s Spanish School (90405). Contact: 310-689-9881; Hours: 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Gillybean School (90405). Contact: 310-452-5740; Hours 8:30 am – 2 p.m.
- Haggerstrom Family Child Care (90404). Contact: 310-633-3375; Hours: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Haris Family Child Care (90404). Contact: 310-453-7810; Hours: 7:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Koala Children’s Center (90404). Contact: 310-310-3277; Hours: 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Kras Family Child Care (90405) Contact: 310-314-0648; Hours: Monday – Saturday, 7 a.m. – 6:59 a.m.
- Nuestra Casita Nursery (90405) – nuestracasitanursery.com. Contact: 310-912-5475; Hours: 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- SMAP Child Care (90405). Contact: 310-452-6836. Open: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Pages Family Child Care (90404). Contact: 310-994-5514 or [email protected]; Hours: 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Stepping Stone Child Care and Preschool (90405). Contact: 310-453-6316; Hours: 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Tivoli Rainbow Garden Preschool (90405). Contact: 310-801-3616 Hours: 8:00 am – 5 p.m.
- Wild Poppy Studio (90405). Contact: 310-529-4457; Hours: 8:45 a.m. – 5 p.m.
In-Person Distance Learning Programs
This is a roundup of local businesses that are offering in-person help with distance learning and online assignment support. Some of them also offer enrichment activities to provide PE, STEM, and socialization with other kids. Inclusion here is not an endorsement. Email us at [email protected] if you’d like to see your program listed here.
City of Santa Monica
- Direct services programs are in the planning stages, and we will update this blog post when details become available.
Santa Monica Malibu Unified School District (SMMUSD)
- Before- and after-school care: In the planning stage, with assistance from teachers to help homework needs and fitness. Currently enrolled families will be given priority for before and after care, and there is no guarantee of available space.
- In-School work hubs: Supervised environment for students to focus on distance learning is pending County approval. SMMUSD will contact families that indicated an interest earlier this summer.
- More at: https://www.smmusd.org/DistanceLearningGuide
Santa Monica YMCA Distance Learning (elementary school)
- Availability: Some half-day spots still available
- Cost: Full Day: $270, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.; Half Day: $135, 8 a.m. – 12 p.m., and 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. (Distance Learning only). Financial aid available through Connections for Children.
- Contact: [email protected] or (310) 393-2721 x 123
- Register: Download Registration Form.
- Available: Afternoon drop-in spaces. Regular day is sold out.
- Cost: Regular Day (8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.): $550 / 10 days or $300 / 5 days ($60/day); Extended Day (2:30 p.m. – 5 p.m.): +$15 / Day (billed separately); Afternoon Drop-In (2 p.m. – 5 p.m.): $250 / 10 days ($25/day)* or $150 / 5 days ($30/day)*
- Contact: [email protected] or call (310) 907-7399
- Available: Limited in-person instruction
- Cost: https://www.realmacademy.com/become-a-realmer/costs/
- Contact: (310) 399-1139 or email [email protected]
Mathnasium of Santa Monica (grades K-12)
- Available: In-Person math tutoring
- Contact: 310-692-7785 or email [email protected]
- Available: In-Person math and reading tutoring
- Cost: $175 per month, per subject.
- Contact: 310-394-0902 or [email protected]
310 Tutors Distance Learning Programs
- Available: POD instructors at home or in center on weekdays to manage online classes and supervise assignment completion
- Contact: (310) 434-9944 or email [email protected]
- Available: Remote learning supervision and child care
- Contact: 310-341-6269
- More info: Read about Beach Moms CDC in Part 8 of our Santa Monica Black-Owned Business series